RESPONDING TO COVID-19
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, thousands of people in Pierce County faced food insecurity, living without any guarantee of where their next meal would come from. With the unfolding of the Coronavirus crisis, the number of food-insecure people has dramatically risen, leaving some of the most vulnerable members of our community without access to food. This includes children who are out of school and rely on school lunch programs, low-income families, the elderly, the disabled, and individuals facing job disruptions.
Despite the obstacles that come with providing meals for those without, we remain committed to serving our community in a safe, responsible, and CDC-compliant manner. In response to the pandemic, Eloise’s Cooking Pot has taken precautions to ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, and clients including:
- Rigorous sanitation
- Small work-groups
- A “curbside” drive-thru model of food distribution
- The addition of more than 25 home delivery routes
- Onboarding of additional staff to prepare food boxes, deliver food to homebound clients, direct traffic at the food bank, and sanitize our food bank/office spaces
- Procuring an isolated building away from the food bank to produce food boxes
- Offering home delivery food services to essential healthcare workers in Pierce County.
With sweeping layoffs, business closures, and extended school closures, we anticipate the need for our services to grow as more and more of our neighbors need help putting food on the table. In order to fulfill this need, we are reliant on the help of community volunteers and private donors.
To support Making A Difference Foundation and Eloise’s Cooking Pot Food Bank in providing food for the vulnerable members of our community who would otherwise go without, you can do the following:
- Make a donation to Making A Difference Foundation to help offset the additional costs accrued in providing food relief safely and efficiently during the crisis.
- Take on a volunteer Delivery Driver route for the duration of the crisis, bringing food to homebound seniors and disabled members of our community.
- Donate much-needed resources to Eloise’s Cooking Pot through our Amazon Wishlist.
- Sign up for a volunteer shift, preparing boxes of fresh food for our drive-thru and walk-up foodbank service.
For all questions, comments, and concerns, please contact Making A Difference Foundation at email@example.com or call (253) 212-2778.